Skip to main content

Here We Are!

I have just quietly celebrated 1000 followers on my 'Smitten with Bermuda' Facebook page, by enjoying a beautiful cup of tea in my navy and white striped bone china mug from The Chef's Shop in Hamilton. 

The sailors stripes must be a subliminal nod to Spirit of Bermuda, as she races toward St. David's in the Newport Bermuda Race. If only I had an assortment of cream-filled cookies from Marks & Spencer to enjoy with my tea, and the company of friends with lovely Bermudian accents.

I cannot believe how much time has passed, since I last used my favorite Barbara Finsness mug at Salt Kettle Guest House- alongside the other lucky guests, cats, herons, Kiskadees and the dear Lowe family.

When I departed Bermuda in 2019, I expected that it would be "just another departure." That morning, I had enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Village Pantry, prior to scrubbing a sea turtle at BAMZ- another inspirational whim that made a great memory.

That morning, my friend Jane asked if I couldn't stay in Bermuda just a little longer. I was very good at cancelling flights out of Bermuda. But, this time, I had to get back. "Don't worry! I will be back soon!"I told her. 

When I try to wrap my mind around what has happened since then...

I literally lose my breath.

Long story short- despite the vigilance of the safety police (myself), I was diagnosed with Covid-19 in November of 2020- the original, very lethal variant that ravaged the U.S. (and world) when no treatments were yet available.



Ironically and due to God's Grace, I was diagnosed with Covid at the best hospital in the country. I would be put into quarantine for nearly a month in a hotel 1,200 miles from home, alone. I would medicate myself, take my vitals, and chart my own progress. If my oxygen saturation was low, when the nurse called, I had to take deep breaths until they were satisfactory- to avoid hospitalization. 

Everyday, I prayed that something unforeseen would not happen. As the saying goes, "You don't know how brave you are, until it is the only choice that you have."

On the one occasion that I did need the advice of the Emergency Room, I took that task into my own hands, too. How very odd to call 911 to ask for a ride. Thankfully, the woman who answered my call was as kind as a Bermudian. "Help is on the way!" she said. 



These were historic and unprecedented times. For the first time in my life, the nurses and doctors in the ER answered all of my questions with "We don't know." It was like traveling back in time to 1917, when the Spanish Flu hit America.  Was I on another planet? Thankfully, the hospital had a minibus driver in a Haz Mat suit drive me back to my hotel. That young mother was a heroine.

Not surprisingly, that two mile ride to the hospital cost my insurance a couple thousand dollars. Yet, this was the only mode of transport for a contagious Covid-19 patient. I could not hail a cab. I was a pariah. I will never forget how that felt. 


I was alone for the election of our new President, for Thanksgiving, for my birthday, the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree, and for my favorite Christmas specials. I watched Home Alone, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. Nostalgic shows were my companions- comforts from my childhood. I was no longer afraid of the Winter Warlock!

Midway thru quarantine, I had scantily decorated my room for Christmas, and discovered a fabulous crackling fireplace video on You Tube. I put it on each night and listened to it crackling away, as I drank in the ambience of my twinkly lights, flowers, and gifts that had arrived in the mail from friends. 




As the sun set over Mayo Clinic, I would look over to see the Plummer Building illuminated in different colors. I surmised that the purple night must have been for Minnesota's own (Prince!)

Oddly, during this ordeal, I had Bermuda to keep me on course. Whether I was under a down comforter in my hotel room, or on a stretcher in an ambulance (so long as I was breathing okay), I could still let my followers know the Sunday brunch menu at Fourways Inn. 


When I was finally released from quarantine, Christmas trees were up! I had been living in a bubble. Once I returned home to New York, I was intent on finishing my recovery.

Unfortunately... Not so fast. My symptoms did not abate. I felt seriously ill- months later- and was diagnosed with Long Covid (Post Acute Covid Syndrome) in March of 2021. Officially a "Long Hauler," I spent many months in bed. In fact, I joked that I should just wear my bed- so that I could crash whenever, and wherever I pleased. 



As time marched on- the entirety of 2021- I took every opportunity to take care of myself. I tried Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, tending the garden, and pacing myself. I was the consummate homebody, with a few exceptions for sunset picnics at the bay. Vitamin D was a necessity, as were nature and friendship. 

Yet, even with great diligence to self care, I landed in the ER on my first "joy ride" out of the house, to buy Spring plants. In hindsight, I was tired when I went out. I should have stayed home. Can you imagine? Symptoms of a heart attack- all due to Long Covid. It was a kick in the teeth.

Four seasons went by. 




I missed shopping for my only niece's wedding dress. I missed her wedding, too! She had a destination wedding in Stockholm, Sweden at Christmas! I will never get that back. It's hard for me to accept that kind of surrender.

I wondered if I would ever get well- and if I would ever get back to Bermuda. At this time, doctors still had no answers.

Oddly, my inner warrior went back to the day that I climbed aboard the freighter with Bermuda's Harbor Pilots. If I could do THAT, I could surely get well. 





Somehow, in my brain-fogged state, I even thought up a fabulous tagline for Bermuda Tourism. It is safe to say that my passion for Bermuda pulled me through a very hard time- AGAIN. That, and writing to The White House everyday- demanding advocacy for survivors of Covid-19, like myself.

To put it mildly, this disease is a nightmare. I am one of the patients who had a "mild to moderate" case of Covid-19 initially. However, the acute disease does not hold a candle to the sequelae, for some. Long Covid slays. Patients look fine on the outside, but have mysterious inflammation and nervous system dysfunction on the inside, that can target any bodily system- in a pattern that mimics a rollercoaster ride. Treatments are still experimental, but hope is on the horizon.

So, here we are in 2022. 

In America, we have a saying: "When it rains, it pours." This means that one has had enough!  For me, it was a nasty breast cancer scare- including surgery earlier this year- during my recuperation from Long Covid. Good Grief.  I would have much preferred tank rain in Bermuda!



Sitting in a hot pink gown in the surgeon's office, it occurred to me that my love of hot pink might have been some kind of bad omen all these years... I had always associated it with Bermuda- not this! Thankfully, on that note, I have gotten a clean bill of health. Hot pink remains the color of 'Smitten!"

It is time to draft my resolutions for my Bermuda return. There is both hesitation, and unbridled excitement in my heart. My wish is to return in October, when the air is cooler and the pace is slower. Will I undertake 22 new experiences? Yes, but they may not be Herculean. The Covid-19 storm has passed for most people, but I have been greatly humbled by it.

Looking ahead, there are new considerations. I will now relish the modern jetway at L.F. Wade (who would have ever thought?) I will require a few extra minutes to get to the Salt Kettle Ferry. If I do not have enough energy to walk from the ferry to the bus station, I may need to hitch a ride. I may even take a pool noodle into the sea.


Truth be told, I desperately need a vacation. Time off from real life. So does my beloved sister, who has cared for me. She has literally saved my life. Without her, my family, my doctors, loyal friends, and Honey (our Golden Retriever), I would not be here.

As for 'Smitten,' my passion is unrelenting. Bermuda is in my heart, wherever I go. We are true soulmates- through thick and thin.

I told my sister that I would celebrate 999 'Smitten' followers on Facebook with Eggs Benedict for brunch. When I reached 1000, I would purchase a hot pink dress to wear on the plane back to Bermuda.

I think it is safe to say that when that plane departs New York, tears will fall.

Thank you for supporting my writing.

Stay well, and see you in Bermuda!

Love,

Daisy xoxo












Comments

Popular Posts

From Linen to Lipstick

Yesterday, I met a young woman from The Bermuda Tourism Authority at the island's Annual Gombey Showcase at the Botanical Gardens.  Without delay, she asked me how many times I have been to Bermuda-presumably to gauge my status (newbie vs.veteran).  She followed with a rather pat question:  "What is your favorite thing about Bermuda?"  I was auspiciously silent. How could somebody ask me that, I thought, with a certain degree of indignation...  If I were to have a single answer to  that question , my love affair with Bermuda would be shallow. Clearly, I have no lack of fellowship when it comes to appreciating the visual aesthetics of Bermuda. This subject brings to mind one particular lady, who shares my passion for nature and my love of color. She  is an iconic artist, here in Bermuda, who brings joy to kitchens and tables around the world from her artistic outpost on Queen Street- The Island Shop. Speaking of beauty in Bermuda is fruitless if one does not mentio

My Sea Venture

Anyone who knows me, is familiar with my deep curious streak. I find myself wondering things that are sometimes obscure, and wanting to get to the bottom of them.  When I was in Bermuda in May, I watched cruise vessels come and go. There was nothing particularly curious about that- until I learned how they actually get to port. They are not brought into port by Captains of cruise lines; they are brought into port by Bermudians. Needless to say, this intriguing fact lingered in my head, long after I returned to New York. How very fascinating it was to me... so much so, that I wrote to Bermuda Marine and Ports requesting to see it with my own eyes. What a fascinating article, this would make, I was certain.  I was delighted to learn that the Pilot Warden in Bermuda would welcome a story about pilotage. He graciously told me that nothing I wanted to see was off limits- with regard to  his  authority, although he did need to run it through Customs and the Marine Authorities. I h

New, Old Friends

We take for granted how long, Long Island actually is. Bermuda is the same size as The Hamptons, essentially- an entire nation . At home, we talk about going 'up the island' to go to western Suffolk or Nassau county; here, some say that they are going 'up country', if just going a distance of 10+ miles. It is no wonder, that the expression "six degrees of separation" does not apply on this rock. New friendships blossom, like Hibiscus. Over the past few days, I have become acquainted with new faces, new friends and new places. The undercurrent of all of these experiences is the familiarity that is shown to me, by Bermudians- and the familiarity that is shown to one another, regardless of the length of the relationship. Even as I venture to unknown places, I am shown the warmth of a neighbor. Courtesy is ingrained in this culture, to the very detail. In Hamilton, just prior to the roundabout, there is a digital sign that shows you your speed. If you are on t

The Secrets are Safe with Lou-Seal

Back in March, a most unusual phenomenon occurred- one that would make history in the small island nation of Bermuda. Not an event of epic proportions, but one that would create an international 'sealebrity'. On March 19th, a Gray Seal beached herself at the East End of Bermuda, amongst the rocks at Tobacco Bay. Not unusual that a creature should wash ashore, or willingly leave the water for a bit of R&R. What garnered the attention of Bermuda- in addition to her imperiled health- was that this breed of seal  is native to waters off of New England, Canada and the UK. How on earth did she wind up six hundred miles off the coast of the United States? Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) rescued the injured seal, who was suffering from a nasal infection, an upper respiratory Infection and superficial lacerations  that  she had acquired along her Transatlantic journey. She would make history, as the first Gray Seal on record to be rescued in Bermuda's waters. Fo

Fifty-one Shades of Blue

This morning, the atmosphere at Salt Kettle shifted quite a bit for me, as my new dear friends- sisters Dudley and Edwina- were due to go home.  Suzie, Jane and I sat with them on the patio of their waterfront cottage, discussing our anticipation of The Royal Wedding, and our opinions about Meghan and Harry- did they choose properly? We all agreed, that Harry was overdue for a big public display, since he likely will not be wearing the crown during his lifetime. We will celebrate the wedding here, in real time- as a British Crown Colony should. Hats, champagne and treats would be necessary. I have been observing, since my arrival, that the operation of a guest house is quite challenging!  Turnover is random; many folks can depart at once- leaving a lot to do.  Flights arrive and leave at all hours of the day- because they come from different countries (primarily U.S., Canada and U.K.).  There is always tidying, and certainly always laundry. Plus, feeding Pickles (the ca