Skip to main content

My Favorite Things: The Loren at Pink Beach


"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. Brown paper packages tied up with strings. These are a few of my favorite things..."
 - Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II


This trip to Bermuda has been a literal whirlwind. Not just because it is has been much shorter than I would prefer, but also because I made the decision to stay in several new places, thus moving around the island. I feel very fortunate to have gained exposure to lovely new spots to which I will return! 

My first stop was The Loren at Pink Beach. I was invited by the resort to cover their First Annual Holiday Market, which was a resounding success. Shall I share what else I loved? If Julie Andrews were here, she would undoubtedly ask me to ponder my favorite things...

1. The Loren at Pink Beach has only forty-five rooms.

When one thinks of an oceanfront island resort, one thinks of an expansive property, packed with guests who may remain anonymous to their hosts. On the contrary, The Loren is a boutique property. It is peaceful, tranquil, and personal. The limited capacity enables staff to know you, and to attend to you in a more intimate way. While at The Loren, I was addressed both formally and informally- by my surname and my first name ("Miss Daisy") which felt comforting. It's not possible to become lost in a crowd at this lovely place. I was a guest, and I felt like it.

2. The architecture and design are at one with nature.

The Loren was constructed at the edge of the sea, blending the resort setting with nature in a seamless fashion. Materials used to furnish the hotel are natural and organic. There is beautiful flooring, a sweeping stone staircase leading from one level to another, lots of glass for spectacular views, and circular fluidity of design that creates a sense of calm and balance. To me, it felt (without seeming cliché) quite zen- as if I were far away from home, in my own little oasis, where nobody could find me.


3. The Loren at Pink Beach is eco-conscious.

From the moment of check in, you will see discrete messaging that says, "Help us give back more than we take from the world." This forward thinking resort has an action plan to combat global warming. The Loren Roots Initiative plans to acquire 50,000 biodiverse acres and to plant ten million hardwood trees that will consume at least ten times the Carbon Dioxide they produce. Guests are invited to join in the effort, should they wish to make a donation via the hotel. I have not witnessed this before.

I am impressed that The Loren is invested in the global environment. Little nuances such as paper drink straws, reef-safe sunscreen in the mini bar, and technology that automatically turns off the air conditioning when you open the sliding door to go out on the balcony- these all add up! Typically, when one thinks of a luxury property, one may think of extravagance and waste- not here. This is carefully curated and efficient luxury.

4. The hospitality staff anticipated my every need.

I ate the majority of my meals at The Pink Beach Club, enjoying the natural setting, complete with little birds that flew through the restaurant. On one occasion, however, I had a reservation for dinner downstairs, while feeling a little under the weather. I asked the restaurant manager if I might dine in my room instead. It was a windy night along the ocean. Coziness was in order. 

Restaurant staff not only hand-delivered the restaurant menu to me expeditiously; they also delivered my dinner, poured my wine, and called shortly thereafter to inquire about retrieving my dinner tray- lest it be in my way. I enjoyed a beautiful meal of Apricot Glazed Pistachio Stuffed Chicken with a side of Mashed Potatoes and Curried Carrots in a Yogurt Sauce. The attention to detail put forth by the staff at The Loren made me feel looked after. A guest does not need to ask- it has already been thought of... right down to the chocolate on my pillow, when it was time for turn down service. Although one night, I was asked, did I want dark chocolate or white chocolate with coconut?

5. The sounds of the ocean are immeasurably therapeutic.

I may be incorrect, but I believe that The Loren is the closest hotel property to the sea in Bermuda- perhaps in a league only occupied by Cambridge Beaches. While other resorts sit atop cliffs, or back from the beach, The Loren occupies a niche in the coastline that reminded me very much of Cinque Terre (The Italian Riviera). From dusk until dawn, the ocean provides ambient sound that soothes your psyche, wooing you to relax. I could actually sense it lowering my blood pressure and heart rate.  There is a reason that we all reach for meditations of nature sounds, when we want to fall asleep. The sound of the ocean has the affect of a lullaby on a baby. I especially loved watching the waves crash on the shore, while dining at Pink Beach Club. The natural environment soothes.

6. Lush amenities embrace you like a hug.

I stayed in an oceanfront King Suite which featured a gorgeous bedroom, vast bathroom, and an outdoor balcony area which was the size of a proper living room. My bed was plush with gorgeous pillows and linens, perfectly sized for someone who likes to sleep in the shape of a starfish. On vacation, word is- solo travelers get to occupy the whole bed without any guilt! The outdoor patio had soft outdoor living room furniture, perfect for breakfast al fresco, an afternoon nap in the shade, or evening cocktails. 

When I opened the double doors to the bathroom to put my toiletries away, I was stunned by the size of the bathtub. I am a bubble bath fanatic. In fact, I may need to write a tour guide of the world's best bathtubs. Let's just say, I could have donned flippers in this one. Clearly it was designed for two! Not only that- the water was adjusted to come out at precisely the right temperature. Was that a coincidence? Comforts surrounded me. 

7. I had the best Rum Swizzle of my life!

It was a hot day. Lunch would be at Pink Beach Club. I ordered a beautiful The Pretzel Club Sandwich with fresh roasted turkey, accompanied by Rosemary French Fries. In order to combat the 80% humidity, I made a special request. I told my server that I would like to order "the best Rum Swizzle I had ever tasted." The bartender, Neseyah, was up to the task. 

I was served a gorgeous beverage of rum and juices that was shaken cold, and poured over ice. Funnily enough, I met the mixologist later, only to learn that she had put extra effort into my drink- making sure that it was adequately cold, perfectly flavored, and decorated to please with extra garnishes. She even sought feedback from her colleagues, while making a drink for me. In the warmth of the sun, the icy cold Swizzle made me so happy. It's amazing to think of the power behind one cocktail, when on holiday!


8. I enjoyed breakfast al fresco everyday.

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. Each day at The Loren, I managed to rise and shine in time to see the sunrise over my hot French Press coffee. I was the first one up, the first one greeted and the first one served. 

The Pink Beach Club restaurant is completely al fresco. The dining room is circular in design, with perpendicular rows of tables on the outside edges, next to the sea. When the waves get too high, or the sea spray begins to kick up without abandon, there is semi-transparent screening that can be lowered to protect diners, without obstructing the view. Due to the time of my visit, there was a lovely Christmas tree in the dining room. Each table featured snowy bottle brush trees- minimalistic and perfect. Not overdone. 

I enjoyed an Omelette one day, accompanied by a delicious hot Roasted Tomato (an English nuance). On my second morning, I ordered a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with avocado, spinach, and cherry tomatoes topped with a fried egg. Hot coffee at the seaside. The perfect start to each day.


9. Time must have stopped!

While at The Loren, the only time that I had to recall during the day was for dinner reservations. Aside from that, I could relax without looking at a clock or my watch. I could wake up, wander to breakfast, stroll the pink beach at low tide, feeling the chilly Atlantic on my feet. I could leisurely rinse off in the spectacular outdoor shower, and sit alongside the infinity pool splashing my feet without a care in the world. The weather was glorious, enabling me to achieve a sun-kissed glow, while surveying my new environment in solitude. 

One morning, I met a couple from Charlotte, North Carolina at the poolside- Miko and Amanda. He and I were both in Bermuda for our birthdays. We instantly struck up a lively conversation about Bermuda- what has changed over time. He and his wife had not been to the islands for fifteen years. Bermuda is a place that engenders camaraderie amongst its visitors; there is solidarity of affection for these islands. One could chat forever about that... no tick, no tock.




10. There was no motivation to leave my cocoon!

In the past, prior to beginning Smitten With Bermuda, I would come to Bermuda strictly for vacation. Like most other folks who do so, there was always the push-pull of deciding how much time to spend on self indulgence and relaxation vs. how much time to spend venturing out, experiencing new things. Let me tell you- this inner struggle continues. I arrived in Bermuda with the longest list of things to do. Prior to departure from New York, I was told by my family to lower my expectations. Having been in a somewhat slower mode due to recent illness, I was advised "just to relax!" Suffice it to say, my curiosity continued to burn while at The Loren, but for once in my life, I found myself staying at a place that I felt no urge to leave- for anything! Not one cab was called. That says something.




11. The Loren is accessible.

Those of you who follow Smitten With Bermuda may know that I was very ill with Covid-19, and subsequently have coped with Long Covid for two years. It should come as no surprise that my eyes look very closely at environments that make a place accessible to all- whether it be a question of way finding, or design. Having seen many posts previously on Bermuda Bound by visitors inquiring about accessible accommodations in Bermuda, I was delighted to learn that The Loren is a stellar choice. On the lower level of the hotel, one has access to Pink Beach Club, the infinity pool overlooking the ocean, rental cabanas, the hotel spa and a ramp that leads down to Pink Beach. The proximity of the amenities enables all patrons to be served easily, and to navigate without any hindrance. This is an admirable quality for a property in Bermuda. No need to worry about getting from A to B. 


12. They have villas, too!

Prior to staying at The Loren, I was unaware that the property also has villas onsite that have between one and three guest bedrooms. Bedrooms are on the ground floor (well thought out), with the kitchen, dining and living areas on the second floor. I was offered a tour of the villas- an unexpected perk. They are artful, modern and sophisticated with spectacular views of Bermuda- postcard views that were utterly new to my eyes! Visitors who rent villas can take advantage of having a private pool, an outdoor dining room on the balcony and a very large open floor plan that would accommodate a large family with ease. There is something to be said about enjoying the privacy of a villa within the context of a first rate hotel. Unlike the hotel, the villas have views inland, which are exquisite- with lush greenery and colorful homes galore.


From the moment that I got out of my taxi at The Loren, to recognize an old friend- Kenny the Bellman (previously from Rosedon), I had a smile on my face. What a surprise it was, for both of us, when he opened my door! This was just one in a string of "happy accidents" that were laced throughout my trip to Bermuda.

While I did not have enough time to explore the spa facilities at The Loren during this stay, it will be top of the list for next time. 

A warm and gracious thank you to the staff and management at The Loren for a highly memorable visit. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!


D.



Comments

Popular Posts

From Linen to Lipstick

Yesterday, I met a young woman from The Bermuda Tourism Authority at the island's Annual Gombey Showcase at the Botanical Gardens.  Without delay, she asked me how many times I have been to Bermuda-presumably to gauge my status (newbie vs.veteran).  She followed with a rather pat question:  "What is your favorite thing about Bermuda?"  I was auspiciously silent. How could somebody ask me that, I thought, with a certain degree of indignation...  If I were to have a single answer to  that question , my love affair with Bermuda would be shallow. Clearly, I have no lack of fellowship when it comes to appreciating the visual aesthetics of Bermuda. This subject brings to mind one particular lady, who shares my passion for nature and my love of color. She  is an iconic artist, here in Bermuda, who brings joy to kitchens and tables around the world from her artistic outpost on Queen Street- The Island Shop. Speaking of beauty in Bermuda is fruitless if one does not mentio

My Sea Venture

Anyone who knows me, is familiar with my deep curious streak. I find myself wondering things that are sometimes obscure, and wanting to get to the bottom of them.  When I was in Bermuda in May, I watched cruise vessels come and go. There was nothing particularly curious about that- until I learned how they actually get to port. They are not brought into port by Captains of cruise lines; they are brought into port by Bermudians. Needless to say, this intriguing fact lingered in my head, long after I returned to New York. How very fascinating it was to me... so much so, that I wrote to Bermuda Marine and Ports requesting to see it with my own eyes. What a fascinating article, this would make, I was certain.  I was delighted to learn that the Pilot Warden in Bermuda would welcome a story about pilotage. He graciously told me that nothing I wanted to see was off limits- with regard to  his  authority, although he did need to run it through Customs and the Marine Authorities. I h

New, Old Friends

We take for granted how long, Long Island actually is. Bermuda is the same size as The Hamptons, essentially- an entire nation . At home, we talk about going 'up the island' to go to western Suffolk or Nassau county; here, some say that they are going 'up country', if just going a distance of 10+ miles. It is no wonder, that the expression "six degrees of separation" does not apply on this rock. New friendships blossom, like Hibiscus. Over the past few days, I have become acquainted with new faces, new friends and new places. The undercurrent of all of these experiences is the familiarity that is shown to me, by Bermudians- and the familiarity that is shown to one another, regardless of the length of the relationship. Even as I venture to unknown places, I am shown the warmth of a neighbor. Courtesy is ingrained in this culture, to the very detail. In Hamilton, just prior to the roundabout, there is a digital sign that shows you your speed. If you are on t

The Secrets are Safe with Lou-Seal

Back in March, a most unusual phenomenon occurred- one that would make history in the small island nation of Bermuda. Not an event of epic proportions, but one that would create an international 'sealebrity'. On March 19th, a Gray Seal beached herself at the East End of Bermuda, amongst the rocks at Tobacco Bay. Not unusual that a creature should wash ashore, or willingly leave the water for a bit of R&R. What garnered the attention of Bermuda- in addition to her imperiled health- was that this breed of seal  is native to waters off of New England, Canada and the UK. How on earth did she wind up six hundred miles off the coast of the United States? Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) rescued the injured seal, who was suffering from a nasal infection, an upper respiratory Infection and superficial lacerations  that  she had acquired along her Transatlantic journey. She would make history, as the first Gray Seal on record to be rescued in Bermuda's waters. Fo

Fifty-one Shades of Blue

This morning, the atmosphere at Salt Kettle shifted quite a bit for me, as my new dear friends- sisters Dudley and Edwina- were due to go home.  Suzie, Jane and I sat with them on the patio of their waterfront cottage, discussing our anticipation of The Royal Wedding, and our opinions about Meghan and Harry- did they choose properly? We all agreed, that Harry was overdue for a big public display, since he likely will not be wearing the crown during his lifetime. We will celebrate the wedding here, in real time- as a British Crown Colony should. Hats, champagne and treats would be necessary. I have been observing, since my arrival, that the operation of a guest house is quite challenging!  Turnover is random; many folks can depart at once- leaving a lot to do.  Flights arrive and leave at all hours of the day- because they come from different countries (primarily U.S., Canada and U.K.).  There is always tidying, and certainly always laundry. Plus, feeding Pickles (the ca