Skip to main content

Cattiness

This morning, after breakfast, I had the pleasure of going to The Masterworks Museum with two fellow guests, John and Dianne from Georgia- the latter of whom is a masterful artist herself. 

The Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art is one of my favorite places to go in Bermuda. Situated in the middle of the Bermuda Botanical Gardens, it boasts artwork not only from Bermudian artists, but also from those who have come to Bermuda to paint. 

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a knowledgeable woman, originally from London, who gave us a brief history of the museum, and invited us to a movie night fundraiser for Masterworks, coming up next week.

The brainchild of the Masterworks Museum wanted to create a place where art of Bermuda could come home, and be curated with care. I believe that they have approximately 1500 works of art that they rotate through, along with new exhibits. It is a lovely place- tastefully done, and easy on the eyes!

John, Dianne and I enjoyed viewing Bermuda from days gone by, and in various media. Dianne even gave me an impromptu lesson on how to create the shadows, that make watercolor paintings so dimensional. Thoughts of my dad were very much with me.

Prior to leaving the gallery, I had to address an urgent priority! I have always wanted a vintage Bermuda travel poster. Hard to find these days, they are sold in the gift shop of The Masterworks. I had a hard time choosing, but opted for the one that read, "Bermuda...By Land or Sea", featuring a couple arriving in Hamilton aboard a cruise ship, circa the 1950's, it would seem. Having seen a sign for a raffle, I succumbed to that, too. Ten dollars for a chance to spend five nights at The Reefs Hotel... it just might be my lucky day.

I popped in to get an iced tea at Homer's- the adorable eatery inside Masterworks, where I once had a decadent piece of rum cake. Greeted by bubbly staff, and the lady in charge (Teresa), who was dressed in  fabulous style, I learned that the restaurant is now called The Salty Lime. Plans exist to expand its size, to open for happy hour etc. This will be wonderful.


I pulled out my map of Bermuda, and formulated an economical strategy for the rest of the day. 

I would order a heart smart salad, pop on the South Shore bus, and take a picnic to Astwood Park- the site where newlyweds often get shot (with a camera). 

I would then pop back on the bus, and arrive at Horseshoe Bay immediately after the cruise ship passengers had rushed back to sail onward. Earlier in the am, I had saved the Bermuda Cruise Ship schedule to my phone; it is wise to plan Horseshoe time according to the location of the droves of seafaring visitors!

With delicious salad in hand, I set out to find the bus stop. It was a short walk, in dangerous shady patches. I prayed not to be hit by car, and soon wound up at the bus stop- right in front of Peace Lutheran Church, where I had attended Easter Services.

A kind Bermudian lady, who was also waiting on the #7, filled me in on some of the political issues here in Bermuda- the government spending money on the wrong things, instead of keeping the full bus fleet in good repair and on time, etc. 

As we were sitting in close proximity to the hospital, we also talked about healthcare. She explained that funds for Bermuda's modern healthcare facilities are being directed to services, such as plastic surgery (she used the term 'boob jobs'). Clearly, she was concerned that the priorities for the locals (i.e. a cardiac cath lab) are not being addressed. I pondered the coming of the  'Elderboom'; she told me that she will not retire in Bermuda- even after living her whole life here. It is just too expensive, and Bermudian healthcare needs a bit more help. 

I got off the bus at Astwood Park, and walked down the road, which was pretty desolate, with the exception of a few workmen parked on the side of the road. I had a brief moment of "I am a woman, all alone, in a remote place- am I an idiot?" thinking, but kept walking because I wanted to see the spectacular site where married couples flock.

Toward the end of the road, I saw an expansive lawn, with rolling hills in the distance. Out of nowhere, a cat appeared!

Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.
Then another cat.

TEN FERAL CATS came running to me- the lady with kitty food, or so they thought!

I had a moment

I had never been followed by ten wild cats. I was trying to envision a romantic picnic on the cliff with them. Would I wind up with Rabies? 

I climbed up the hill. Thankfully, the cats stayed behind. A breathtaking view was in front of me- absolutely spectacular.



The first thought that ran through my mind, was 'wow, this is the perfect place to throw someone off a cliff'... Does that make me a morbid person, or just a creative problem solver?

There was nobody there, except for two Bermudian ladies, who were taking in the views, but were ready to leave.They approached me and said, "Good Afternoon". With all of the politeness expected, they then asked me WHAT I was doing THERE, and advised me to change my plans!

"Don't get me wrong. Nobody will interfere with you here. But if something should HAPPEN, nobody will know that you are here". They were right. They offered to give me a lift to Warwick Long Bay, where I would enjoy my salad on a beach where there were a total of nine other people, at my disposal. I love the quiet serenity at Long Bay!

After lunch, I figured I would walk along the sand trails to Horseshoe Bay. I had done the reverse walk, with my cousin Scott last month, and thought it would surely be feasible. Due to the high tide, however, the coves that we had walked through, might not be shallow at the moment, so I took off on a sandy path, headed west. 

At one point, I felt lost. I listened for the sea- and followed the breezes- which got cooler, the closer I got to the water. It was hot out. I soon felt like I was crossing the desert. Upon arrival at Horseshoe, I walked the length of the beach in the sea, and went straight to the bar for a tall Rum Swizzle. An evocative song was playing at the Rum Bum Beach Bar. I listened to the lyrics...

Relieved to finally be at my leisure destination for the day, I was a little disappointed to see multiple signs posted for RIP tides. Peter and Kristen will recall that I explained the RIP tide diagram over our Easter holiday. "See! REST IN PEACE- RIP. This is what happens if you get sucked out to sea!" We had a big laugh over my misattribution of the acronym. I do not think it is an acronym...?!


Anyway, you can't keep this girl out of the water! I figured out two strategies- swim with other folks, and swim near the Lifeguard. After winding up with 10 feral cats on a cliff, I figured that I needed to be smart- especially since everyone at home calls me "the safety police".

The waves at Horseshoe were like those at Georgica- big, fun waves! I dashed into the sea, next to two gentlemen, and kept my eyes on them at all times. The current was taking me farther from my beach towel, but closer to the lifeguard station, so I felt secure. Until everyone else got out of the water.

I was trying to stand in relatively shallow water, but I was precisely where waves were breaking. Every few seconds, I would get a slap in the face. I opted to get out and dry off.

Sitting there on my towel, I wished that my family was with me. We had so much fun last month, celebrating Peter's birthday on the same beach. 

After a while, I had had enough sunshine. I hopped into a cab (dry and sand free, per Bermudian manners) and headed back for a cat nap.

At the end of long days, it is sometimes hard to muster the energy to go out at night. I was way "off schedule" and wound up hungry around 7:30 pm. 

I felt like going out. I took a taxi to the closest place for supper- what used to be the old Belmont Hills Golf Resort. It is now a condo complex, with a golf club and two restaurants.  

I arrived at BLU, and was positively enamored. The restaurant has the vibe of a country club, with a bar, expansive dining room and a patio overlooking the harbor that is just gorgeous- idyllic outdoor dining! 

I opted to eat inside, however, for the sake of air conditioning and ambience. I loved the plush slipcovers on the chairs, and more importantly, the staff uniforms. Waitstaff at BLU wear French style, nautical, navy and white striped tops with navy pants. They look so smart! 

*I think that the Hamptons ought to catch this trend; perhaps the Bell & Anchor? It truly adds to the dining experience. Who would have thought? Marlys would have loved that touch!

The menu at BLU is very diverse- including Asian, Italian, Seafood- something for everyone. Due to the late hour, I opted for a grilled chicken fire roasted pizza; a few small slices would be ideal. It was delicious, as was the wine. I will be back! 

Back at my guest house, for the last night, I greeted sweet Olive, and had a great night's sleep. Best so far. Must have been all of the sea air.










Comments

Popular Posts

From Linen to Lipstick

Yesterday, I met a young woman from The Bermuda Tourism Authority at the island's Annual Gombey Showcase at the Botanical Gardens.  Without delay, she asked me how many times I have been to Bermuda-presumably to gauge my status (newbie vs.veteran).  She followed with a rather pat question:  "What is your favorite thing about Bermuda?"  I was auspiciously silent. How could somebody ask me that, I thought, with a certain degree of indignation...  If I were to have a single answer to  that question , my love affair with Bermuda would be shallow. Clearly, I have no lack of fellowship when it comes to appreciating the visual aesthetics of Bermuda. This subject brings to mind one particular lady, who shares my passion for nature and my love of color. She  is an iconic artist, here in Bermuda, who brings joy to kitchens and tables around the world from her artistic outpost on Queen Street- The Island Shop. Speaking of beauty in Bermuda is fruitless if one does not mentio

My Sea Venture

Anyone who knows me, is familiar with my deep curious streak. I find myself wondering things that are sometimes obscure, and wanting to get to the bottom of them.  When I was in Bermuda in May, I watched cruise vessels come and go. There was nothing particularly curious about that- until I learned how they actually get to port. They are not brought into port by Captains of cruise lines; they are brought into port by Bermudians. Needless to say, this intriguing fact lingered in my head, long after I returned to New York. How very fascinating it was to me... so much so, that I wrote to Bermuda Marine and Ports requesting to see it with my own eyes. What a fascinating article, this would make, I was certain.  I was delighted to learn that the Pilot Warden in Bermuda would welcome a story about pilotage. He graciously told me that nothing I wanted to see was off limits- with regard to  his  authority, although he did need to run it through Customs and the Marine Authorities. I h

New, Old Friends

We take for granted how long, Long Island actually is. Bermuda is the same size as The Hamptons, essentially- an entire nation . At home, we talk about going 'up the island' to go to western Suffolk or Nassau county; here, some say that they are going 'up country', if just going a distance of 10+ miles. It is no wonder, that the expression "six degrees of separation" does not apply on this rock. New friendships blossom, like Hibiscus. Over the past few days, I have become acquainted with new faces, new friends and new places. The undercurrent of all of these experiences is the familiarity that is shown to me, by Bermudians- and the familiarity that is shown to one another, regardless of the length of the relationship. Even as I venture to unknown places, I am shown the warmth of a neighbor. Courtesy is ingrained in this culture, to the very detail. In Hamilton, just prior to the roundabout, there is a digital sign that shows you your speed. If you are on t

The Secrets are Safe with Lou-Seal

Back in March, a most unusual phenomenon occurred- one that would make history in the small island nation of Bermuda. Not an event of epic proportions, but one that would create an international 'sealebrity'. On March 19th, a Gray Seal beached herself at the East End of Bermuda, amongst the rocks at Tobacco Bay. Not unusual that a creature should wash ashore, or willingly leave the water for a bit of R&R. What garnered the attention of Bermuda- in addition to her imperiled health- was that this breed of seal  is native to waters off of New England, Canada and the UK. How on earth did she wind up six hundred miles off the coast of the United States? Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) rescued the injured seal, who was suffering from a nasal infection, an upper respiratory Infection and superficial lacerations  that  she had acquired along her Transatlantic journey. She would make history, as the first Gray Seal on record to be rescued in Bermuda's waters. Fo

Fifty-one Shades of Blue

This morning, the atmosphere at Salt Kettle shifted quite a bit for me, as my new dear friends- sisters Dudley and Edwina- were due to go home.  Suzie, Jane and I sat with them on the patio of their waterfront cottage, discussing our anticipation of The Royal Wedding, and our opinions about Meghan and Harry- did they choose properly? We all agreed, that Harry was overdue for a big public display, since he likely will not be wearing the crown during his lifetime. We will celebrate the wedding here, in real time- as a British Crown Colony should. Hats, champagne and treats would be necessary. I have been observing, since my arrival, that the operation of a guest house is quite challenging!  Turnover is random; many folks can depart at once- leaving a lot to do.  Flights arrive and leave at all hours of the day- because they come from different countries (primarily U.S., Canada and U.K.).  There is always tidying, and certainly always laundry. Plus, feeding Pickles (the ca