Skip to main content

GallANTry



Another day, another breakfast by candlelight with lively conversation. Everyday, we are served freshly baked muffins, toast and marmalade, freshly cut fruit salad and an egg prepared in a different fashion. Today, it was soft boiled eggs, served in the shell, with the top of the shell cut off in a precise even line. 

I asked my host how they could possibly cut the tops off so perfectly, and was introduced to a German kitchen gadget, with a name three miles long, that a guest had sent Mike and Carol. He handed it to me, challenging me to figure out the engineering!


A highlight of breakfast today was learning that Carol's late mother (Eveline A. Hesketh-Petty) had written and illustrated a little book about ants. I asked her "ANTS? Or Aunts?" Carol brought out the book, entitled 'Eveline's Ants'; I found it so clever and entertaining.

Although her dear mom has since passed, they plan for her legacy (and sense of humor) to live on, when the book is reprinted. I will need to check Amazon on a regular basis, because I was so highly amused. The woman also deserves her own font!


After breakfast, I had an appointment on my schedule. During my last visit, I had seen a massive illuminated advertisement at the airport, announcing a partnership between Bermuda and New York Presbyterian Health Care System for cardiac care. It intrigued me.


CORE (an acronym for Cardiac Outreach, Renewal & Education) is the first ever combined Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation service on the island of Bermuda. They have enlisted the help of NYP (Weill Cornell and Columbia) to bring physicians to Bermuda every month, to follow their heart patients. As a veteran NYP patient, I love this!


I called CORE from Sag Harbor, initially, to introduce myself. I figured, that if my trip was to be about real life and living my best life (as OPRAH would say), that I would have to find a gym, and learn about pertinent healthcare. I wondered if they would let me attend their facility.

The founder of CORE is Simone J. Barton. Her husband, Bradley Barton, is the Operations Director. They are a warm couple, both originally New Yorkers. Simone shared her experience with moving to Bermuda, and said that she had never given it a second thought! Her goal in life right now is to make preventive heart health a covered insurance benefit. What a stellar mission to be on!

Fortunately, New York Presbyterian was quick to come onboard with Simone's plan. She called them, pitched a "symbiotic" partnership, and the rest was history. Even Dr. Mehmet Oz has come onboard, to promote the virtues of this excellent step in global public health.

Healthcare in Bermuda is not on a par with the United States, although it is improving. The last time that I was here, a cabbie told us, "When the United States sneezes, Bermuda catches the cold"- meaning that they tend to follow our lead. 

This applies to healthcare, too, although there is a definite time gap, with regard to capacity for expert care on the island. With such a small population, Simone shared that they do not have the need for a first rate Cardiologist to be here everyday; nor the (current) need for a Cath Lab. This means that if you become symptomatic, you are on a PLANE. Being accustomed to the immediacy of expert care at home, this gave me food for thought.

Brad and Simone offered graciously to let me utilize their facilities by appointment, and to have their trainer, Bee, customize a plan for me. As I navigated some hills during the day, I felt that doing gym time also might be overkill. To the contrary, it was a sign that I had better get there...


The last treat before I left CORE, was the opportunity to see a video of their program for youth, entitled JUMP 2B FIT. In a manner that would make Michelle Obama very proud, they created a jump-roping program for young Bermudians, to spur outdoor activity and cardiovascular fitness. Bradley showed me the group in action; they are now competing in abroad!  I will attempt to post the video here. It is positively delightful and inspiring.

After my visit to CORE, I ventured to find a hardware store to satisfy my curiosity. I wanted to know how many exterior paint colors there are in Bermuda, and what the names of such colors were. It is remarkable to me that no two houses are the same color in close proximity. How do they coordinate this picturesque scenario of Necco-colored homes? I grabbed some paint chips, just for fun and began to ponder what color might house would be.


Since today was about real life, it was time to get on the bus. I had purchased a monthly pass for $69. entitling me to go anywhere, anyhow. I hopped on a bus to Flatts Village, a small area of Bermuda that is continually growing on me. It is often featured in ads for Bermuda Tourism, yet it is somewhat of a "drive by" locale for tourists, visited for sites like the Bermuda Aquarium.

Having read about a unique niche of a restaurant called The Village Pantry, I set out to find it, and was delighted. The outdoor ambience reminded me of a cafe that might be set in coastal Greece (although it is situated right on the road). The indoor vibe was modern, quaint, island-y, and just "up my alley", as Marlys would say. The menu was one that Nina and Little Dais would flip for- healthy, fresh, affordable and creative food- so hard to select what to try first! I had to photograph the list of salad dressings for my personal chef at home to replicate(!)


Although very tempted by the healthy bowls of grains and greens, to which one can add your heart's desire of protein, I felt a bit ravenous from walking all over Hamilton (hiking the hills was my training for the End to End walk!) I ordered a very thin crusted pizza with Parma ham. It was served on a wooden cheeseboard, and was divine. 

Although I had planned to bum around sober today (to see if I really love Bermuda), the pizza cried out for wine- so I succumbed and got a glass of Chablis.  The joke was on me, when the bill arrived. My wine (served in a baby carafe) was $20- for one glass. My lunch was $17. Oh well! I will be back...LOVED this restaurant!

The wild thing about my time here in Bermuda, is that everyday experiences can warm my heart.  I finished lunch just in time to catch the bus.  I waited at the bus stop with three young Bermudian students, freshly out of school. As they goofed around with each other,  my inner thermometer ached for them- having to wear button down shirts, neck ties, pull over sweaters (often with a school crest), shorts and (inevitably lycra) knee highs in such warmth and humidity!

I asked one of the young fellows if uniforms were strictly for private school, and he told me no. This is part of the discipline that makes for good manners, apparently. The young boy, petite for 12 years old, said to me, in a very adult manner, "Are you new to Bermuda?" The phraseology of that comment struck me as so mature... His behavior would soon follow suit. The bus pulled up, and I wondered to myself if they would jump on first.

Two of the young men went for the door, but my 'friend' held them back. "NO! Ladies first! Ladies first!" I was so enamored. Even the bus driver commended the boy for his gallantry.


I changed buses in Hamilton, and by this time, I was tired. I took the South Shore route, seated next to a missionary from California, who is here to share the message of Jesus with everyone who will listen. I hopped off at the Elbow Beach Resort, walked down the hill on a scenic little path, passing two mother chickens each of whom had about five fluffy babies. Free range chickens?

Arriving at beach level, I headed to my secret changing spot and suited up for ocean living at 5pm. Refreshing seltzer in hand, I walked down the powdery sand. There were so few people at the beach, it was perfectly peaceful. At one point, a beach ball came barreling down the sand, straight for me. A child had obviously lost it; perhaps it was destined for my "inner child"?

I spent an hour reading my newly purchased survival guide to life in Bermuda and swimming all alone in the idyllic sea. Standing in the vastness of the water, I felt very alone. Knowing that it was 5pm (cocktail hour) made me miss my mom. I realized that the ocean is the perfect place for daily tears; what are a few more drops of salt water?

The vibe at the Elbow Beach Resort is so lovely- both casual and cosmopolitan. After drying off (as much as one can in this weather), I headed up to Cafe Lido to catch a cab. Taken by the sounds of ambient music and the Bermudian, American and Canadian flags flapping in the wind, I was spurred to the bar for a Rum Swizzle. 

My Bermudian bar maid commented on the cruise ship on the horizon. "Look at that ship, headed out", she said. I asked her, "How do you know it's leaving?" "Because I could hear them blow their horns from Hamilton"- apparently the cruise ship 'sign off'.


Back at Granaway, I had a quick chat with Olive. Feeling chilly, perhaps from my swim, I deemed it a perfect night for a peanut butter sandwich and cozy jammies.














Comments

Popular Posts

From Linen to Lipstick

Yesterday, I met a young woman from The Bermuda Tourism Authority at the island's Annual Gombey Showcase at the Botanical Gardens.  Without delay, she asked me how many times I have been to Bermuda-presumably to gauge my status (newbie vs.veteran).  She followed with a rather pat question:  "What is your favorite thing about Bermuda?"  I was auspiciously silent. How could somebody ask me that, I thought, with a certain degree of indignation...  If I were to have a single answer to  that question , my love affair with Bermuda would be shallow. Clearly, I have no lack of fellowship when it comes to appreciating the visual aesthetics of Bermuda. This subject brings to mind one particular lady, who shares my passion for nature and my love of color. She  is an iconic artist, here in Bermuda, who brings joy to kitchens and tables around the world from her artistic outpost on Queen Street- The Island Shop. Speaking of beauty in Bermuda is fruitless if one does not mentio

My Sea Venture

Anyone who knows me, is familiar with my deep curious streak. I find myself wondering things that are sometimes obscure, and wanting to get to the bottom of them.  When I was in Bermuda in May, I watched cruise vessels come and go. There was nothing particularly curious about that- until I learned how they actually get to port. They are not brought into port by Captains of cruise lines; they are brought into port by Bermudians. Needless to say, this intriguing fact lingered in my head, long after I returned to New York. How very fascinating it was to me... so much so, that I wrote to Bermuda Marine and Ports requesting to see it with my own eyes. What a fascinating article, this would make, I was certain.  I was delighted to learn that the Pilot Warden in Bermuda would welcome a story about pilotage. He graciously told me that nothing I wanted to see was off limits- with regard to  his  authority, although he did need to run it through Customs and the Marine Authorities. I h

New, Old Friends

We take for granted how long, Long Island actually is. Bermuda is the same size as The Hamptons, essentially- an entire nation . At home, we talk about going 'up the island' to go to western Suffolk or Nassau county; here, some say that they are going 'up country', if just going a distance of 10+ miles. It is no wonder, that the expression "six degrees of separation" does not apply on this rock. New friendships blossom, like Hibiscus. Over the past few days, I have become acquainted with new faces, new friends and new places. The undercurrent of all of these experiences is the familiarity that is shown to me, by Bermudians- and the familiarity that is shown to one another, regardless of the length of the relationship. Even as I venture to unknown places, I am shown the warmth of a neighbor. Courtesy is ingrained in this culture, to the very detail. In Hamilton, just prior to the roundabout, there is a digital sign that shows you your speed. If you are on t

The Secrets are Safe with Lou-Seal

Back in March, a most unusual phenomenon occurred- one that would make history in the small island nation of Bermuda. Not an event of epic proportions, but one that would create an international 'sealebrity'. On March 19th, a Gray Seal beached herself at the East End of Bermuda, amongst the rocks at Tobacco Bay. Not unusual that a creature should wash ashore, or willingly leave the water for a bit of R&R. What garnered the attention of Bermuda- in addition to her imperiled health- was that this breed of seal  is native to waters off of New England, Canada and the UK. How on earth did she wind up six hundred miles off the coast of the United States? Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) rescued the injured seal, who was suffering from a nasal infection, an upper respiratory Infection and superficial lacerations  that  she had acquired along her Transatlantic journey. She would make history, as the first Gray Seal on record to be rescued in Bermuda's waters. Fo

Fifty-one Shades of Blue

This morning, the atmosphere at Salt Kettle shifted quite a bit for me, as my new dear friends- sisters Dudley and Edwina- were due to go home.  Suzie, Jane and I sat with them on the patio of their waterfront cottage, discussing our anticipation of The Royal Wedding, and our opinions about Meghan and Harry- did they choose properly? We all agreed, that Harry was overdue for a big public display, since he likely will not be wearing the crown during his lifetime. We will celebrate the wedding here, in real time- as a British Crown Colony should. Hats, champagne and treats would be necessary. I have been observing, since my arrival, that the operation of a guest house is quite challenging!  Turnover is random; many folks can depart at once- leaving a lot to do.  Flights arrive and leave at all hours of the day- because they come from different countries (primarily U.S., Canada and U.K.).  There is always tidying, and certainly always laundry. Plus, feeding Pickles (the ca